From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Grsecurity / PaX in danger!
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:11:31
1 My ability to keep up on these things comes and goes as I'm sure
2 everyone's does, so I just noticed this:
3 http://lwn.net/Articles/313621/#Comments
4
5 For those of us who clearly see the benefit of the PaX/Grsecurity
6 patchset, but don't have enough kernel programming knowledge to directly
7 contribute (I'm sure there are many of us out there), I'm curious, what
8 can we do to help ensure (even parts of) the project's survival, either
9 in or out of the mainline kernel?
10
11 Unfortunately I work for a state facing a major deficit, so sponsorship
12 by my "company" isn't really a possibility, though your idea of NSA
13 sponsorship intrigues me. Has that, or some other form of grant, been
14 pursued?
15
16 How much "sponsorship" would be required?
17
18 Would lobbying or other efforts to get certain features ready for
19 mainline kernel inclusion help or does that go against the
20 PaX/Grsecurity teams' wishes?
21
22 What would those features be? Should users be polled for what they'd
23 like to see attempted first?
24
25 Is this even the right place to discuss such a proposal? Probably other
26 distros like Debian would be interested in the project's survival as
27 well, however in my experience the gentoo-hardened list has generally
28 been more active than the grsecurity one.
29
30 For what it's worth I made my donation today.
31
32 Thanks again,
33 Brian
34
35 atoth@××××××××××.hu <atoth@××××××××××.hu> 2008-12-29 06:22:
36 > While Grsecurity 2.1.12 has been officially released, an alarming message
37 > has been also included in the announcement.
38 > http://www.grsecurity.net/news.php#grsec2112
39 > If no sponsors will be found in a few months, Grsecurity can be expected
40 > to become discontinued.
41 >
42 > I encourage every individuals for a small donation (I've already done) and
43 > companies using the software to consider sponsoring Brad & PaxTeam.
44 >
45 > I personally could donate $10 monthly for keeping the essential, crucial
46 > piece of patch alive. If every user could make a small donation the
47 > project could be saved by an effort of the community.
48 >
49 > If I were the US cabinet, I would immediately instruct NSA to save
50 > Grsecurity & PaX.
51 >
52 > Regards,
53 > Dw.
54 > --
55 > dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057, 06-30-5962-962
56 > Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057, +36-30-5962-962