From: Aleksander Kamil Modzelewski <aleander@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] about the recent ELF kernel bug
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:26:15
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > dont cross-post on mailing lists, it's annoying and bad form
3 I cross posted?
4
5 > this should prob stay on hardened since it makes more sense there than
6 > security
7 To security? Uh... sorry, then. Still, I can't see how I have done it. I
8 have only gentoo-hardened in the destination of my local copy of the post,
9 neither I found it in the MARC archive of gentoo-security (but maybe it's
10 lagging behind).
11
12 >>and doesn't core-dump.
13 > core-dumping is a setting in userspace, not kernel-specific
14 ...of course. And I was unprecise, I meant segfaulting, not core-dumping, of
15 course. Sorry, I'm a bit tired here :). Anyway there is both a sigsegv in
16 the app and an oops (a NULL pointer dereference while unregistering the vlan
17 device) in the logs. _And_, I reproduced the segfault, I mistakenly forgot
18 that I'm in permissive mode :), so the vconfig requires access to the /sys
19 (and, when provided with it, it works). It shouldn't segfault, but that's an
20 app's bug probably.
21
22 [snip]
23