From: Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] NOTICE: GCC 4.3.4 going stable on Hardened
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:06:44
1 On Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:10:42 Ed W wrote:
2 > I'm not actually sure which patches he is referencing, but it's at least
3 > one other confirmation that 4.4.1 is the best way ahead.
4 >
5 > Given we need to bump from 3.4.6, is it perhaps sensible to give a push
6 > towards 4.4.1 instead? The logic being whether it actually breaks less
7 > stuff on average than going to 4.3?
8 >
9 > Cheers
10 >
11 > Ed W
12
13 GCC 4.4.x & hardened gcc + uclibc issues are being worked on by Magnus and
14 crew of helpful people (tinhat folks have some representation too ;). Feel
15 free to come by #gentoo-hardened on irc.freenode.net and help hardened/uclibc
16 along if you are able to contribute.
17
18 I must object to "instead" terminology. GCC 4.3.x is current stable with the
19 rest of Gentoo as well, many other packages still require GCC 4.4.x porting.
20
21 It comes down to perspectives and goals. Hardened has been active, but
22 on "life support" for almost 2 years now. Due to time+manpower constraints,
23 the project has been forced to concentrate on our core which is the more
24 mainstream/traditional x86-32 & x86-64 installations. If you are very
25 uclibc/embedded oriented then yeah, its broke (so come help :).
26
27 Gordon Malm (gengor)