From: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Executing hardened-binaries on non-hardened systems
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:47:56
1 Hi,
2
3 I need to compile a binary on my system and copy it over to
4 some other Linux machine (non-Gentoo) to execute it there. I
5 can't compile the binary on the target machine; I have to do
6 it elsewhere.
7
8 Now the problem is that my system uses hardened gcc 3.3.4.
9 Thus, when I execute the binary on the non-hardened machine,
10 I get this error:
11
12 ./foobar: relocation error: ./foobar: symbol __guard,
13 version GLIBC_2.3.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
14 link time reference
15
16 OK. I understand that. But what do I do now?
17
18 I tried compiling the program with "-fno-stack-protector
19 -fno-pic", but that doesn't make any difference. Probably
20 because the libraries the program links against have been
21 compiled with that stuff already.
22
23 Is there any way to get this symbol defined _except_ for
24 linking libc statically? Some magic libnow_it_all_works.a,
25 perhaps? :-)
26
27 Peter
31 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list