From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] gcc-4.3.4 stabilized for a hardened profile?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:45:20
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I've been stuck on gcc-3.4.6 on my hardened profile system (currently:
3 > hardened/linux/amd64/10.0) for a very long time. Now it looks like
4 > gcc-4.3.4 has been stabilized for hardened profiles. Has anyone
5 > tested it? This system is critical for me, so I've got to be careful.
6 >
7 > - Grant
10 A lot of us have been testing the new GCC for a while now using the
11 hardened-development overlay. It's as stable as 3.4.x was in my experience.
12
13 About a year and a half ago, I reformatted a laptop and started from
14 scratch using gcc-4.x from the overlay, because what the hell. Many
15 issues from the gcc-3.x era actually cleared up with the new toolchain.
16 Once I convinced myself that things were working correctly, I began to
17 migrate "real" systems to the development GCC one at a time.
18
19 All of my personal machines are using gcc-4.x, and things work much
20 better on the desktop than they did with gcc-3.x. Many of our servers
21 have also been migrated: web, database, dns, mail, monitoring, firewall,
22 etc. all work fine. I have noticed absolutely no difference (either
23 positive or negative) on those machines.
24
25 In short, switching your default compiler with gcc-config isn't going to
26 change anything. Test any new packages/upgrades just as you would have
27 with gcc-3.x.