From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty@××××××.net>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Process permission noatsecure
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:40:35
1 Hi Chris and all,
2
3 Okay, if I correctly understand noatsecure, I should be able to decode the
4 following AVC log message:
5
6 Feb 1 16:55:03 office kernel: avc: denied { noatsecure } for pid=14026
7 exe=/usr/local/sbin/samhain scontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t
8 tcontext=system_u:system_r:samhain_t tclass=process
9
10 The message seems to be saying that a process in the initrc_t domain was
11 transitioning to the samhain_t domain. This has probably occurred as
12 Run_init is launching Samhain. Apparently, Run_init runs in Glibc secure
13 mode whereas Samhain does not.
14
15 What now puzzles me is that this message wasn't associated with a Samhain
16 failure. It seems that the action wasn't really "denied" despite the
17 message. After all, the dontaudits that appear in policy.conf would merely
18 suppress the message; they wouldn't authorize the action. And, in this
19 particular case, I've not found it necessary to code a rule such as:
20
21 allow initrc_t samhain_t:process {noatsecure};
22
23 Apparently, "denied" sometimes means "notice." Am I getting close?
24
25 Cheers,
26
28 Bill McCarty