From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Integrity EVM / IMA - few questions.
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:46:02
1 On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 10:07:17AM +0200, Jacek wrote:
2 > My system:
3 > Gentoo Hardened - grsec & pax:
4 > /Linux version 3.9.4-grie5 (root@localhost) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Gentoo
5 > Hardened 4.6.3 p1.5, pie-0.5.2) ) #6 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 7 19:05:38 CEST
6 > 2013/
7 >
8 > I have a few questions about Integrity check using IMA / EVM, as
9 > described in this article:
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/integrity/
13 > How to automatically sign installed by Portage packages for the IMA and EVM?
14
15 There's no automated signing documented anywhere yet. You should be able to
16 automate it through the hooks Portage provides - you can run the evmctl
17 commands as part of the postinst phase.
18
19 See
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3&chap=6#doc_chap3
21 for how to interact with the hooks.
22
23 I didn't document it, because any automation I currently considered left the
24 key and/or its passphraze open (for a while - during the build processes).
25 As signing isn't mandatory (without signing, the standard checksums are
26 used) you can always sign afterwards (for instance after disconnecting the
27 system etc.)
28
29 > Is it possible to run the added convenience Portage, acting similarly to
30 > currently applying SELinux tags?
31
32 What do you mean with the added convenience Portage?
33
34 Unlike SELinux, IMA/EVM has no notion of labels. It either fills up the
35 attributes with the checksums (and some other metadata) through the kernel
36 (nothing we need to do), or with a digital signature (when you call evmctl).
37
38 > Is there a tool similar to rlpkg package policycoreutils to sign files
39 > for EVM / IMA?
40
41 No, not yet. The problem is that signing the files (to make them immutable)
42 requires that you know which files are not meant to be writeable in the
43 first place. We can apply some "common sense" to it, but it isn't
44 error-proof (unlike the SELinux contexts, which are perfectly defined in the
45 policy).
46
47 But you can easily build something that checks the files provided by qfile,
48 and if the file is an ELF binary, sign it. You still need to pass the
49 signing key and password to it though.
50
51 > Is it possible to use EVM is installed in accordance with this guide:
52 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/integrity/docs/evm-guide.xml
53 > without SELinux?
54
55 You can use SELinux, but you cannot use the custom policy then. Without
56 custom policy, things should work - it just checks integrity/recalculates
57 integrity after changes for files that are less of a concern to follow
58 (performance).
59
60 > As in this case (without SELinux) to the EVM/IMA policy integrity check
61 > that did not include such locations as
62 > //////usr///// share//
63 > /// var///// log//
64 > // /// tmp//
65 > ///////var//
66 > // ///////usr /////portage//
67 > // /// media
68 > //////Where /
69 > // var, /tmp and / usr is on rootfs?
70
71 Without SELinux context information, it does the integrity checks for all
72 files.
73
74 Wkr,
75 Sven Vermeulen