From: Clemente Aguiar <clemente.aguiar@××××××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-hardened] Could not load modules.dep
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:11:22
1 See below some feedback on the suggestions given:
2
3 > -----Mensagem original-----
4 > De: Igor Novgorodov [mailto:igor@××××.net]
5 > Enviada: quinta-feira, 10 de Maio de 2007 14:10
6 > Para: Clemente Aguiar
7 > Assunto: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Could not load modules.dep
8 >
9 > > Since a while ago I have been getting a series of errors at
10 > start-up
11 > > on my servers, such as:
12 >
13 > > "FATAL: Could not load
14 > > /lib/modules/kernel-hardened-2.18-r6/modules.dep:
15 > > No such file or directory"
16 >
17 > > I configured my hardened kernels with "loadable module support"
18 > > disabled, so I think that modules.dep could never exist.
19 >
20 > > First of all, I can see these messages "fly" by the console at
21 > > start-up, but it seems that they are not logged (I can't find them
22 > > anywhere). Shouldn't they get logged somewhere?
23 > You can try setting RC_BOOTLOG="yes" in /etc/conf.d/rc
24 > Messages will be logged to /var/log/boot.msg
25
26 I did as suggested and emerged "app-admin/showconsole" as well (it is a
27 requirement for this to work), and most boot messages where logged in
28 /varlog/boot.msg, but not all, and the ones I mentioned where NOT
29 logged.
33 > > Second, how can I get rid of the messages altogether?
34 > Just do "rc-update del modules" to remove module init script
35 > from startup
38 I did as you suggested, but when I rebooted, a warning was issued and
39 "modules" init script was automatically added back to "boot".
40
41 Any other suggestions?
42
43 Clemente