From: Marcel Meyer <meyerm@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] hardened and 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:48:09
1 Hi,
2
3 I want to set up a new hardened system which will host the usual LAMP
4 (perhaps only within a VM?) and a vmware-server (since I wasn't able to
5 find a OSS (para-)virtualisation solution which would support using
6 grsecurity without hassles [*]).
7
8 Does anybody here has experiences when it comes to 64bit and a hardened
9 gentoo system (no SELinux, just grsecurity and the default stuff ;-) )?
10
11 I would like to stay with "stable/amd64" and not "testing/~amd64". So can I
12 assume everything works as flawlessly as with "x86"? Or should I be careful
13 and stay with 32-bit "x86"? This would be my first amd64 system so asking
14 in advance seems to be the less nerve-wracking way *g*
15
16 Thanks,
17 Marcel
18
19 [*]
20 - linux-vserver/openvz don't use several kernels and therefore different
21 configurations for each "VM"
22 - XEN needs a lot of patching and is difficult to patch together with
23 grsecurity
24 - KVM isn't ready yet and my CPUs don't support Pacifica either ;-)
25 - Qemu is not very powerful (performance wise)