From: Daniel Struck <community@××××××.lu>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Prelude Hybrid IDS
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:30:53
1 Hello,
2
3 I was just surfing around and found an interesting IDS:
4
5 Prelude Hybrid IDS
6 (http://www.prelude-ids.org/)
7
8 "Prelude is a new innovative Hybrid Intrusion Detection system designed to be very modular, distributed, rock solid and fast."
9
10 Interesting facts about this IDS:
11
12 "
13 we try to retrieve the "stimuli" and responses eventually associated to attacks at network level or at system level
14 ...
15 Centralizing, Archiving, and Normalizing logs in a secure way
16 ...
17 in practice we have as many sensors as possible (Prelude-NIDS, Centralized Syslogs, ...) deployed on the network which send their alerts to Security Managers.
18 ...
19 Counter-measure agents are generic agents run on the machines which must react in case of an attack.
20 ...
21 Libsafe is a preloadable library (through LD_PRELOAD directive or using an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf) which protect a program against the exploitation of vulnerabilities like buffer-overflows of bogus format string.
22 "
25 So, I would be interested:
26
27 - Are there any efforts made to adapt Prelude-IDS to gentoo, maybe in relation with gentoo-hardened?
28
29 - Is anyone already using Prelude-IDS on gentoo?
32 Daniel