From: "Daniel Cegiełka" <daniel.cegielka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:08:08
1 2017-04-30 13:50 GMT+02:00 SK <yandereson@××××××.net>:
2 > You can't really change license because it is a kernel patch so it has
3 > to be GPLv2 from what i understand.
4
5 Really? Can you remind me when Grsecurity or PaX Team distributed the
6 Linux kernel? If they did, all code is under GPL-2. But that never
7 happened (if I'm right). You can't talk about any GPL violation
8 because it has nothing to do - Linux kernel was not affected by a
9 patch that never hit it! :) Funny, but true :)
10
11 The second: you can't use grsecurity patch (even now!), because
12 grsecurity is a registered trademark:
13
14 """
15 Can I continue to use the name grsecurity?
16
17 grsecurity® is a registered trademark by Open Source Security Inc. We
18 will continue to use it in our official work. We ask that any
19 community-based ports or additions to the last public official
20 grsecurity patch not use the grsecurity trademark. Replacing the
21 "grsec" uname addition, removing the grsecurity boot logo from the
22 patch, and removing "grsec" from associated package names at minimum
23 will make this easier and avoid confusion. All copyright and license
24 notices must remain intact as required by the GPL.
25 """
26
27 https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton_faq.php
28
29 Alpine Linux changed the name 'grsec' to 'hardened', but that's not
30 enough: you need to remove all references to 'grsecurity'. What does
31 it mean? e.g.:
32
33 # sysctl -a | grep grsecurity
34
35 Exactly! In practice, this means you can't use grsecurity patch (or
36 use the sed)! :)
37
38 Daniel