From: Radek Madej <radegand@××.pl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources & tp_smapi, firefox-9.0 install stucks
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:20:49
1 On Tuesday 10 January 2012 13:32:26 Christian Apeltauer wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello hardened-list,
4 > I would like to point out that I am still able to run icecat-9.0.1
5 > without any pax feature disabled by patching the ebuild as shown by the
6 > attached patch. Basically I applied the patch from Bug #396275 and
7 > disabled both methodjit and tracejit. And now icecat (including
8 > addons like noscript) runs without being pax-marked.
9 > I am well aware of the warnings that the Javascript engine runs slower
10 > without methodjit (by the way, why was that USE flag dropped?). I use
11 > Javascript only when absolutely necessary, so I might not be the best
12 > judge, but I don't see any noticeable impact on performance. Neither do
13 > I use flash plugin or something like that, so neither can I say whether
14 > flash will work without pax-marking.
15 > May solution may not be workable for everybody. But I don't see a
16 > reason why not to give it a try for ones like me who want a browser with
17 > reasonable JS management (as provided by the noscript addon) but do not
18 > need all the flashy extras. It should be up to the user to decide which
19 > features to enable.
20 > Best regards
21 > Christian Apeltauer
22
23 Hi,
24
25 I can confirm that it does work indeed, with either firefox-9.0 or icecat-9.0.1
26 from portage tree - thanks for sharing! :)
27
28 Plugins are an issue, disabling mprotect on the 'plugin-container' binary
29 let's java & flash run (I've only done some a simple test though). Due to easy
30 JS and content-policy management in firefox I also use it as a 'secure' browser
31 so don't care much about the plugins which run fine for instance in chrome
32 which needs to be paxmarked anyway...
33
34 Wouldn't it make sense to disable jit on pax_kernels and let users decide if
35 they want to further pax-mark the plugin-container binary, via ebuild message
36 for example?
37
38 I've removed all the paxmarking from ebuild and added sth like:
39
40 if use pax_kernel; then
41 mozconfig_annotate '' --disable-methodjit
42 mozconfig_annotate '' --disable-tracejit
43 fi
44
45 ...and now I'm a happy firefox user :)
46
47 Cheers,
48 Radek