From: Pedro Venda <pjvenda@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] problems with mod_php again
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:40:12
1 hi everyone,
2
3 sorry to insist on this matter but I can't find help anywhere else and people
4 seem quite helpful here.
5
6 I'm having problems with apache2+mod_php in an hardened environment. I'm
7 restricting mprotect() and disallowing ELF relocations. of course mysql
8 didn't start and apache2 didn't load the php module.
9
10 mysql's problem was quickly fixed with a paxctl -m on 2 binaries.
11
12 mod_php's problem still lies unfixable. paxctl -m on libphp4.so doesn't fix
13 the problem and none of the libraries upon which libphp4.so depends on needs
14 to relocate ELF segments. (individually checked with scanelf -a).
15
16 apache2 refuses to start with the following error message:
17 gw root # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
18 * Apache2 has detected a syntax error in your configuration files:
19 Syntax error on line 6 of /usr/lib/apache2/conf/modules.d/70_mod_php.conf:
20 Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/extramodules/libphp4.so into
21 server: /usr/lib/apache2/extramodules/libphp4.so: cannot make segment
22 writable for relocation: Permission denied
23 gw root #
24
25 Since I'm running gentoo linux and there's an interesting hardenedphp flag
26 affecting the mod_php ebuild, I decided to try it out, but with no luck.
27
28 Where should I carry on debugging and what could be the problem here, since it
29 doesn't seem to be libphp4.so?
30
31 regards,
32 pedro venda.
35 Pedro João Lopes Venda
36 email: pjvenda < at > arrakis.dhis.org
37 http://arrakis.dhis.org