From: Jean-Pierre Schwickerath <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] can't boot hardened kernel with PAE (64GB) and NX
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:29:20
1 Hello,
2
3 I've got some kind of strange situation which took me a few days to find
4 out. It all started with a pentium 4 machine on an ASUS P5AD2 board that
5 would just refuse to boot a hardened kernel after being freshly set up
6 with a 2005.1 hardened profile.
7
8 GRUB came find and then if I selected a hardened kernel
9 (2.6.11-hardened-r15 or 2.6.13-hardened-r2) I could barely see the
10 "booting linux" and then the machine rebooted as if someone had pushed
11 the reset button. Standard gentoo kernel booted just fine. The rest of
12 the installation was stable and the machine ran under full load for a
13 few days.
14
15 There was no way to boot a hardened kernel except disabling the "Disable
16 execute function" is the BIOS.
17
18 I finally tracked down the problem to selecting 64GB under High Memory
19 Support in the kernel. If I select 4GB the hardened kernel boots, with
20 64GB it doesn't. The machine itself has 2 GB of RAM. Standard gentoo
21 kernel boot regardlessly whether I select 4 or 64GB. I even disabled
22 everything under "Security options" in the hardened kernel, but that
23 didn't help either.
26 I can boot the machine with:
27 - gentoo-sources 2.6.13-gentoo-r5 and High memory = 4GB OR 64GB
28 - 2.6.13-hardened-r2 and High memory = 4GB
29 - 2.6.13-hardened-r2 and High memory = 64GB and Disable Execute option
30 OFF in the BIOS
33 So basically my question is whether this is the intented behaviour or
34 not?
38 Best Regards,
41 Jean-Pierre
42 --
43 Powered by Linux From Scratch - http://schwicky.net/
44 PGP Key ID: 0xEE6F49B4 - AIM/Jabber: Schwicky - ICQ: 4690141
45
46 Nothing is impossible... Everything is relative!
47 --
48 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list