From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Petre Rodan <petre.rodan@××××××××××××.com>
Cc: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: selinux and ~x86
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:39:16
1 On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 07:45, Petre Rodan wrote:
2 > one thing about
3 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-quickstart.xml:
4 >
5 > you do warn people that there is a bug with grub, but there are a few
6 > implications with that which are not quite obvious:
7 >
8 > if the user blindly removes the /boot/boot symlink and modifies
9 > grub.conf there is the possibility that on next reboot he'll see 'grub
10 > error 15'
11 > he sould have re-installed grub (I think grub still expects to find
12 > the stages in (hd0)/boot/grub/stageX (instead of (hd0)/grub/stageX)
13 > and hence the error)
14
15 Yes, the grub bug is really nasty and irritating. I'll add to the doc
16 to reinstall grub.
17
18 > and I use monolithic kernels, so tweaking mkinitrd was also needed
19
20 In what way? If you run 'make initrd' from the policy directory, it
21 doesn't try to install any modules.
22
23 > BTW,
24 > this idea of having the policy in two places (in
25 > /etc/security/selinux/.. and inside initrd.gz) is temporary, right? =)
26
27 Well the old way of having the kernel read the policy was rejected from
28 the 2.6 kernel for several reasons. So the initrd (or initramfs) is
29 currently the only way to load the policy before running init. The
30 policy needs to be loaded before init, so init can transition to the
31 right domain. There are some ugly hacks and games that RedHat is
32 trying, to skip the initrd. But they are ugly :\ So right now the
33 initrd is just a fact of life.
36 Chris PeBenito
37 <pebenito@g.o>
38 Developer, SELinux
39 Hardened Gentoo Linux
40
41 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
42 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243