From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:07:43
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 15:47:44 +0300 Alex Efros wrote:
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 01:49:20PM +0200, Luis Ressel wrote:
7 > > I suppose we all just grudgingly switch over to gentoo-sources?
8 >
9 > I wonder for how long time current kernel with grsec will be more safe and
10 > protected against new exploits than up-to-date gentoo-sources…
11 > Something new in security: avoid updates to have better protection.
12
13 I assume as long as the vanilla kernel 4.9 is supported upstream it
14 should be relatively easy to backport all updates to the hardened-
15 sources. 4.9 is the longterm branch, so hardened users should be
16 safe for a year or so. By that time one should switch to vanilla
17 kernel (or whatever replacement will be available), because old and
18 unmaintained software is the root of all evil in security.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Andrew Savchenko