From: Balint Szente <balint@×××××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] nvidia.ko with Grsecurity & PaX kernel
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 20:34:30
1 On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 20:01:57 +0200
2 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > > [...]
5 > >
6 > Why would you remove XT-pax flags anyways?
7
8 Because I don't use XT flags (yet) and I like to keep things "clean"
9 and consistent. I have PAX_MARKINGS="PT" in my make.conf, so every ELF
10 is PT marked only. This was the reason that I removed the XT marks from
11 the nVidia shared object. On the other hand it excludes the possibility
12 of inconsistent XT and PT markings.
13
14 > It's just xattr (shouldn't
15 > cause much overhead) and since PT-pax is going to be deprecated (iirc
16 > soon), you have a backup with the XT-pax flags (so you don't have
17 > breakage when the switch occurs).
18
19 I know and agree that XT markings are superior, especially for a closed
20 source binary file where altering the ELF header is not necessarily
21 safe. But I was thinking to wait until XT-pax markings will get stable
22 (bug #465000).
23
24 Regards,
25 Balint