From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of grsecurity in gentoo
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 17:22:54
1 On 2015-09-02 12:13, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > So by now most people have heard the news that the Grsecurity/PaX team
5 > are no longer going to be making their stable patches available. The
6 > reason is that they are in dispute with a certain embedded systems
7 > vendor and those negotiations broke down. So they decided to make their
8 > stable patches only available to the sponsors. [1]
9 >
10 > What does this mean for Gentoo? Up until now I have been maintaining
11 > both the grsec upstream stable and testing patchsets in our
12 > hardened-sources. Currently the upstream stable kernels are 3.2.71 and
13 > 3.14.51 and the testing are 4.1.6. In about one week, the 3.2.71 and
14 > 3.14.51 patchsets will no longer be available and I'll continue pushing
15 > out the 4.1.6. Unfortunately the testing patchset is precisely as the
16 > name suggests --- for testing and not production. For the embedded
17 > systems company this will be the kiss of death because those patches are
18 > not suitable for long term. For Gentoo it will mean that I will have to
19 > be more vigilant about bugs and trying to stick with a well known kernel
20 > before moving on. You can still use these kernels in production, but
21 > you must be carefull about instabilities as upstream pushes out
22 > experimental feature that may oops or panic. Keep older kernel images
23 > around and revert if it doesn't work. Look to this list for
24 > announcements about more serious issues like things that can cause data
25 > loss.
26
27 This would be a pretty good news item. Are you going to make it one?