From: Michael Boman <mboman@g.o>
To: Gentoo Hardened ML <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Security ML <gentoo-security@××××××××××××.uk>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] IDS ebuilds and documentation
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:21:50
1 (Sorry about the cross-post, but I figured that both groups would be
2 interested in this)
3
4 Tomorrow (well, about 10 hours or so) I'll start dealing with my backlog
5 (most of the prelude components needs to be version bumped etc). Anyway,
6 solar or method (memory fails me here) asked me to write up some
7 documentation about IDS, and I'd like to know what "black magic" you
8 guys see in the IDS world that you would like to have explained (looking
9 mainly at the network IDS for now).
10
11 I am more incline to write some good book reviews and some
12 tips-and-tricks then to write about something from scratch, as there are
13 already very good books on the subject.
14
15 The documentation and/or tips and tricks will be kept as generic as
16 possible as I really don't want to write software specific stuff where
17 possible (I have both Prelude and Snort under my wings at the moment),
18 and where it is not possible to be generic I will clearly state for what
19 IDS software these specifics are for.
20
21 This is also a call for ebuild testers. Please try out snort-2.0.5-r2
22 and let me know any bugs you find (through bugzilla) ASAP, as I am
23 planning to make that version stable on x86 by Thursday (18 dec 2003).
24 Please make sure you read the ChangeLog before you install it as several
25 USE flags has been added and it may not be compiled the way you assumed
26 (haven't removed any functionality, just made it more customisable).
27
28 As usual I managed to write a small story for what should been a quick
29 "what do you want documented?" and "heads up" mail..
32 Michael Boman
33 Developer, Hardened Gentoo Linux
34 http://www.gentoo.org http://dev.gentoo.org/~mboman