From: Vieri <rentorbuy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] First time hardened install: GCC version
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:07:28
1 --- Adam James <atj@××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > > the "trouble" you're referring to should happen if
4 > one
5 > > has glibc-2.4.x. or later, am I right?
6 >
7 > Yes.
8
9 Thank you.
10
11 > You need to use gcc-3.4.x for a fully hardened
12 > system, as it is the
13 > only version to currently support PIE and SSP
14
15 well, after installing from 2006.1 and doing an emerge
16 system (emptytree) after selecting gcc-3.4, the system
17 seems to be ok (no emerge errors except for "make"
18 package which I emerged seperately and then re-emerged
19 system).
20 So now I have glibc-2.3.6-r5 and
21 gcc 3.4.6 (Gentoo Hardened 3.4.6-r2, ssp-3.4.6-1.0,
22 pie-8.7.10)
23
24 I don't know why the forum post I referred to had the
25 glibc emerge error and I didn't even though we used
26 the same install CD (the stage, portage and sync
27 apparently made the difference).
28
29 Anyway, as this is my first "hardening" experience I
30 will have to do some homework and see if my system is
31 hard enough (apart from paxtest - which seems to be
32 deprecated - I still wouldn't know how to test drive
33 it).
34
35 > Full hardened support for glibc-2.5 and gcc-4 should
36 > make an appearance
37 > with the release of 2007.0.
38
39 Good news.
40
41 Thanks again
42
43 Vieri
49 Looking for earth-friendly autos?
50 Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.
51 http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
52 --
53 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list