From: "Ђорђе Тодоровић" <postmanmiler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running Skype on Hardened
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:15:09
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2
3 >You can try to make it a valid ELF header first, and then paxmark it.
4 >
5 >I have the following for my Skype:
6 >paxctl -C /opt/skype/skype
7 >paxctl -me /opt/skype/skype
8
9 I tried running paxctl -Cm on it (should be ran on install with pax_kernel USE
10 flag), by it still reports an invalid ELF executable.
11
12 This is listed in the ebuld:
13
14 if use pax_kernel; then
15 pax-mark Cm "${D}"/opt/skype/skype || die
16 eqawarn "You have set USE=pax_kernel meaning that you intend to run"
17 eqawarn "skype under a PaX enabled kernel. To do so, we must modify"
18 eqawarn "the skype binary itself and this *may* lead to breakage! If"
19 eqawarn "you suspect that skype is being broken by this modification,"
20 eqawarn "please open a bug."
21 fi
22
23 BTW,I checked the skype changelog and this was added recently:
24 29 Feb 2012; mthode <mthode@g.o> skype-2.2.0.35-r1.ebuild:
25 fix the paxmarking syntax
26
27 28 Feb 2012; mthode <mthode@g.o> skype-2.2.0.35-r1.ebuild:
28 paxmarked m skype to work on hardened
31 But it somehow fails to complete on my machine when I try it manually.
32 I also just checked, my current profile is multilib (I said earlier no-mulitlib)
33
34 I seriously am not sure if it is of any help,but attached the ELF header of the
35 skype executable (/opt/skype/skype) so maybe (IDK) someone can tell if
36 there is an obvious problem there.
37
38 file /opt/skype/skype says:
39 /opt/skype/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
43 . O . | Djordje Todorovic [http://barabbas.github.com] | O . O
44 . . O | GPG-Key: 2048R/1E133339 (http://pgp.mit.edu) | . O O
45 O O O | BFF2 1C7F A70D ECCD FA8F C946 DB32 B498 1E13 3339 | . O .

skype_ELF_header.tar.bz application/x-bzip