From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux n00b questions
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:01:13
1 On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 13:54 -0400, Dale Pontius wrote:
2 > I decided to remove it and install syslog-ng. That appeared to work at
3 > first. But as far as I can tell, nothing has been logged since the first
4 > time I put the systeminto enforcing mode.
5
6 Need to see some denials to better understand whats going on.
7
8 > 2: Can't ssh in when the system is enforcing. I've checked the sestatus
9 > -v results, and everything looks ok. I've never seen a bogus console or
10 > log message, but then again, see (1). Here's what I get:
11 > user1@here ~ $ ssh -v user2@there
12
13 Again, need to see some denials on the server, and logs from sshd if
14 they have anything interesting other than the failed login message.
15
16 > 3: There isn't much about "standard practice".
17 > What kinds of admin tasks can I perform while the system is enforcing?
18 > What kinds of admin tasks do I have to drop out of enforcing for?
19
20 The goal is to always enforce. Ideally, you should never have to switch
21 to permissive to do admin tasks.
22
23 > I presume emerging a new policy requres "make load". What requires "make
24 > relabel"?
25
26 You should generally relabel after switching from permissive back to
27 enforcing. That may also mean restarting if processes aren't in the
28 right context. Other than that, you shouldn't need a complete relabel
29 except in recovery type situations. Or massive policy changes.
30
31 > What about things that don't have a policy? Like dovecot, leafnode, etc?
32 > On my old system I ran things chroot'ed. Can I still, under SELinux?
33
34 Our policy is a little stagnant, since the NSA example policy will be on
35 its way out, and we will be switching to Reference Policy
36 (http://serefpolicy.sf.net/) when its ready in a couple months. It will
37 be a significanly easier policy to manage and develop. It'll also bring
38 along with it the targeted policy, for desktops.
39
40 You can run stuff chrooted, but it will likely require extra policy work
41 to get things labeled right. Though, with a good MAC system like
42 SELinux, the usefulness of chroot is questionable.
45 Chris PeBenito
46 <pebenito@g.o>
47 Developer,
48 Hardened Gentoo Linux
49 Embedded Gentoo Linux
50
51 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
52 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243