From: "Tóth Attila" <dwokfur@×××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] HOWTO: unhardened to hardened
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 12:59:45
1 Beside modifying profile symlink you shouldn't need "pic" and "pie" flags
2 in your make.conf any more. You can use "hardened" instead. To my best
3 knowledge: compiling gcc and glibc first to get the new toolchain running
4 and going on with "emerge -ve" world thereafter seems to be the method of
5 choice for you. In this way it is ensured that every component will
6 experince the beneficial effect of hardening during world compilation.
7 You can postpone bringing up your grsecurity RBAC system as you wish.
8
9 Regards,
10 Dw.
11
12 Jason K Larson said:
13 > What is the best procedure for taking a system
14 > from: default-linux/x86/2005.0
15 > to: hardened/x86/2.6
16 >
17 > So far I'm thinking just update the profile symlink and `emerge -ve
18 > system`, but I've seen a few threads about needing to emerge gcc and/or
19 > glibc a few times first, whats the purpose and correct order to do this
20 > in to get a system to start building correctly for hardened.
21 >
22 > I'm not planning to do anything with selinux yet, but I want to be in a
23 > hardened state to prepare for that direction, along with pax and
24 > grsecurity options.
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance,
27 >
28 > --
29 > Jason K Larson
30 >
31 > --
32 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
36 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus Szakorvos jelölt, 06-30-5962-962
37 Attila Toth MD, Radiology Radiologist in Training, +36-30-5962-962
41 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list