From: Andy Dustman <farcepest@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Sysadmin clues needed for SELinux
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:57:11
1 On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:38:34 +0200, petre rodan <kaiowas@g.o> wrote:
2 > Andy Dustman wrote:
3
4 > > Of course, /root is not relabeled for root being a normal user. But
5 > > then, if you do relabel it, it's has a context of
6 > > system_u:object_r:default_t, which is not right either. su without the
7 > > - works fine.
8 >
9 > /root(/.*)? should end up root:object_r:sysadm_home_t, not default_t.
10 >
11 > you should have in your users file a line like:
12 > user root roles { sysadm_r staff_r };
13
14 What you missed was, I removed root from users, which Chris had
15 suggested back in January.
16
17 > > However I suspect there is some more locking down to do
18 > > to keep root from doing bad things like various denial-of-service
19 > > attacks. Just as a example:
20 > >
21 > > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo
22 >
23 > other then filling up the /tmp fs, I don't see what else it can do.
24 >
25 > > This actually seems to lock up the machine in a bad way: An oops and a
26 > > kernel panic: Fatal Exception in Interrupt Handler, starring Sharon
27 > > Stone.
28 >
29 > I can't reproduce this on my ext3 fs
30
31 That doesn't surprise me, since you are using a different filesystem.
32 I would guess this is either an XFS bug or IDE bug. However, since
33 hardened-dev-sources is 2 releases behind the current
34 development-sources three, it's entirely possible that the bug is
35 already fixed.
36
37 > > I have a separate XFS /tmp filesystem, running
38 > > hardened-dev-sources. I could probably reproduce this, but won't...
39 >
40 > > Maybe there should be a guest_r role (or punk_r) for users we really
41 > > don't want to do anything?
42 >
43 > if they are not permitted to do anything, they shouldn't have received an account in the first place. :)
44
45 That is true, but we can't get rid of root entirely.
46
47 Here's another issue: Gentoo includes by default the bin user. Usually
48 (in other UNIX and Linux distributions, but not all) this is used as
49 the owner (sometimes group) of most binaries, but Gentoo makes most
50 binaries root-owned. (Obviously setuid binaries are another matter.)
51 So is there any particular reason to use root over bin for ownership
52 of binaries? Might it make a difference for SELinux if root only has
53 normal user rights, or even less rights than normal?
54 --
55 Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.
56
57 Using GMail? Setting Reply-to address to <> disables this annoying feature.
60 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list