From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] VMware-related bug
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 21:02:26
1 Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name> 2010-07-08 21:36:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > While discussing inability to run 64-bit VMware guests on 32-bit Gentoo
5 > Hardened host I got reply: it's because of GrSec/Pax bug related to
6 >
7 > "way that vmap(..., VM_PAGE_KERNEL_EXEC) may map a page as
8 > non-executable, despite the flag requesting an executable mapping":
9 > http://communities.vmware.com/message/1567187#1567187
10 >
11 > I wonder which hardened-source will include fix for this issue?
12 > Is candidate for next stable (2.6.32-r?) have it?
13 >
14 > --
15 > WBR, Alex.
16
17 So far as I know KVM works and in my experience has performed much
18 better than VMWare Workstation/Server. You might want to give that a
19 try. libvirt and virt-manager make it fairly easy to deal with.
20
21 Brian