From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] What does the pic USE flag do these days?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 07:24:33
1 Hi,
2
3 One of the differences between gentoo standard and hardened profiles is
4 the pic use flag.
5
6 I wonder what it does and if it has any meaning these days. From what I
7 understand in any modern-day Linux system position independent code
8 (pic) is always used, as we have ASLR and pie executables (in Gentoo
9 since 17.0 profiles).
10
11 In many cases it seems to disable assembly optimizations, often with
12 comments indicating that the assembly is not "pic friendly" (e.g. gzip
13 useflag description says "disable optimized assembly code that is not
14 PIC friendly").
15
16 If the flag just disables assembly optimizations then I wonder if it
17 should be renamed (or if we need it at all - in case these assembly
18 optimizations have no downsides).
22 Hanno Böck
23 https://hboeck.de/
24
25 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
26 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42