From: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Binary package error
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 06:02:18
1 Molnár Péter <mp428@××××××××.hu> writes:
2
3 > On 07/25/2012 01:58 AM, Molnár Péter wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> I have this problem with glibc that when I tried to re-emerge it from a
7 >> binary package, it has failed with the following error message:
8 >>
9 >> * Your system still has old SSP __guard symbols. You need to
10 >> * rebuild all the packages that provide these files first:
11 >> * //lib64/libhistory.so.5
12 >> * //lib64/libreadline.so.5
13 >> * //usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
14 >> * //usr/lib64/libltdl.so.3
15 >> * //usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
16 >> * //usr/lib64/libgmp.so.3
17 >> * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.12.2 failed (setup phase):
18 >> * old __guard detected
19 >>
20 >> What I don't get, is that I have previously rebuilt every package on the
21 >> packager box before uploading it to my binary package repo. So how can
22 >> this still be a problem?
23 >
24 > Ok, I have figured it out. So these are leftovers from earlier
25 > versions, but how come these were not removed when I updated those
26 > packages?
27 >
28 > cheers
29
30 Because removing these libraries before the packages using them are
31 rebuilt would break your system to such an extent that you would not be
32 able to build packages. So an elog when building these packages tells
33 you to run revdep-rebuild and then delete the old library versions. With
34 portage 2.2's preserved-libs feature, the old libs are deleted
35 automatically once all the dependent packages are re-built to use the
36 new lib.