From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] NX bit on VIA C7
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:04:03
1 Hi!
2
3 I was asking about this before. But since then i made some progress:
4
5 In the latest mm-sources there is the possibility to choose VIA C7 as
6 processor. This is enabled by the x86_64-mm-add-an-option-for-the-via-
7 c7-which-sets-appropriate-l1-cache.patch patch. I did not see the NX
8 bit enabled message after booting (maybe there are too many messages?
9 Is there a way to enlarge the kernel ring buffer?) but the second
10 part of the test program mentioned in <http://www.ussg.iu.edu/
11 hypermail/linux/kernel/0612.1/0509.html> segfaults, so it seems to be
12 working.
13
14 After that i took the latest vanilla sources (the latest 2.6.20,
15 since it was yesterday) and applied the mentioned patch. I got the
16 same result, NX is working.
17
18 After that i patched the hardened sources, but there the test is not
19 working, no Segfault, no Nx bit. I disabled PAX_NOEXEC, still the
20 same results.
21
22 Is there anything obvious i missed, something i could try?
23
24 Thanks,
25 Philipp Riegger
26 --