From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Remove toolchain?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:02:38
1 2010/2/1 <schism@×××××××××.org>
4 > Removing the toolchain is an old, common misconception whose originator
5 > I would love to meet and slap some sense into.
6 >
7 > What exactly are you defending against? If the server is compromised,
8 > it's game over - they'll run whatever code they want, be that [highly
9 > unlikely] compiling a binary to attack further or [highly likely] use a
10 > pre-compiled static binary of their own. If you don't have a toolchain
11 > and they must have one, they'll download a static one and bootstrap it.
12 >
13 > Better to learn the use of a good access control system like the
14 > grsecurity RBAC that is integrated into hardened-gentoo to prevent
15 > misuse of the toolchain than to go through fragile and unsupportable
16 > gyrations trying to prevent a phantom threat.
19 I would agree on that.
20 But sometimes you have to answer some needs which are expressed by a
21 hierarchy level you can't slap some sense into.
22 Unless you want to start writing a new résumé.
23
24 If you have choice, then let base Gentoo tools and just control access.
27 Pierre.
28 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
29 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
30 Bill Watterson