From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, issiah hill <issiah@××××.com>, Amon Ott <ao@×××××.org>, Encoding could not be reliably detected. Contents not available.
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Gentoo reintroduction of rsbac-sources
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 21:09:41
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 A long time ago, Gentoo used to provide RSBAC sources. For those of you
4 unfamiliar with RSBAC = rules set based access control, it provides
5 hardening similar to grsec. See their web page at:
6
7 https://www.rsbac.org
8
9 These patches were eventually removed because of waning activity, but
10 recently Amon Ott and his team started working on RSBAC and there has
11 been renewed interest within the community. You can see their activity
12 on their repos:
13
14 http://git.rsbac.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi
15
16 So, I put the rsbac admin tool and kernel sources on my overlay and
17 Issiah Hill started testing them. I think we've progressed to the point
18 where we can reintroduce those kernel sources back into the gentoo tree,
19 so I did.
20
21 The new packages are
22
23 1) sys-kernel/rsbac-sources = vanilla linux 3.1.5 + genpatches + rsbac
24 patches. They do NOT at present contain the pax patches, but will in
25 the next rev bump.
26
27 2) sys-apps/rsbac-admin = the admin tool for rsbac
28
29 At this point, everything is experimental and I would not recommend them
30 for a production server. But they are there now for testing and
31 hopefully full stabilization. I welcome feedback from both our users
32 and the RSBAC team.
35 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
36 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
37 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
38 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
39 GnuPG ID : D0455535