From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:15:12
1 On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 06:59:30 -0500
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > How would you handle /etc/ ? You can't separate it from / which needs
5 > to be exec and yet /etc/ needs to be writeable.
6
7 What for after the main install, password changes (I use scripts
8 allowed via sudo for that and monitor mounts globally but the monitoring
9 could be improved like grsecs offering), some programs require it during
10 install but not many, none on my OpenBSD mail and web servers.
11
12 I'm in the process of attempting to complete this on Linux rather than
13 just /home etc. but on OpenBSD and the plan for single user linux
14 systems is to remount for updates, which is done in a controlled
15 fashion. Most of the time and especially on servers on OpenBSD you only
16 need to remount /usr/local. On those systems I use One Time Passwords
17 and if some rare thing means I do need to remount / then sudo allows
18 this, on others or on firewalls a reboot may be required if it's local
19 and redundant or if that's not a problem.
20
21 On OpenBSD desktops the only thing I did have to mount seperately was
22
23 /etc/X11/xdm/authdir
24
25 but I probably should have just made them single user/auto-login. Bigger
26 problems on OpenBSD servers (no devfs) are ttys for multi-user systems
27 or multiple ssh users needing tty permission changes, otherwise only
28 sftp works for all other users, which could be a feature for
29 me atleast ;-). Originally I was going to try mounting /dev seperately
30 but the book Absolute OpenBSD Unix for the practical paranoid said
31 you couldn't, I guess it would need to be built into the kernel to boot.
32
33 There's also secure knocking that runs commands that may not need ttys
34 but I think they have to be pre-ordained, but maybe not.