From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Info about Gentoo-hardened for all the newcomers
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:49:38
1 This is just an email to say welcome to all the people who joined this list today,
2 and to give everyone some understanding about what this project is
3
4 Although my main focus right now for this project is integration of SELinux into
5 portage and gentoo that is by no means the entire scope of this project.
6 The goal of this project is to make a profile which is very secure and also very
7 stable for use in secure production server environments. Additionally, this project
8 is not separate from Gentoo, and not a separate entity, it is an umbrella project
9 for developers and users who are security oriented. For this reason there
10 will not be a "hardened-gentoo" profile which uses everything in the project.
11 Each component of hardened-gentoo will be optional, just as in Gentoo, using
12 USE variables.
13
14 The current list of subprojects are :
15 SELinux integration, including kernel, userland patches, policy tools, and policies
16 SAL (Secure auditing for Linux)
17 HIDS (Host intrusion detection system) like tripwire or soffic
18 Stack protection in the kernel, Openwall for LSM, and in GCC with SSP
19 Additional encryption algorithms including crypt_blowfish and tcb
20 userland patches for priv seperation, chrooting
21 possibly grsecurity ACL's for lighter weight access control
22 a hardened-gentoo kernel including patches for security and for stability
23 a place for security oriented packages such as kerberos to be maintained
24 detailed documentation for everything mentioned
25
26 All of these will be optional, the more security a user wants the more
27 layers of protection he/she can enable.
28
29 We are soliciting help for these subprojects, especially for writing selinux
30 policies for many of the apps in portage, and for documentation.
31 If you are skilled in security, MACS or any of the projects listed and want
32 to help please join #gentoo-hardened on irc.freenode.net and speak
33 with us.
34
35 I invite everyone to come to #gentoo-hardened on freenode to talk
36 about the project and its scope, give comments, suggestions, etc.
37
38 I am very happy to see the amount of interest in this project, and to
39 be able to start a project like this.
40
41 Joshua Brindle