From: Ewald Wasscher <ewald@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened SELinux Gentoo + Xen & Apache: workable?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:45:22
1 wandering.womble@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Hi there-
3 >
4 > I'd like to set up a hobby web-server, and I'd appreciate any
5 > thoughts/feedback from this community on what I'm planning- below.
6 >
7 > The server will be for two domains. I'd like them to be as
8 > independant of each other as possible, running on the same machine.
9 > I'd like the maintainance to be as straight-forward as possible.
10 > There's also a small chance one of the domains may end up on it's own
11 > hardware one day. The machine will be on the end of a cable modem, in
12 > a DMZ, running it's own secondary firewall- probably using shorewall.
13 >
14 > I've looked at chroots, jails, vserver patches, bsd, solaris- with
15 > only the later having any support for managing software installed
16 > inside the 'jail'. But I couldn't find an answer to if solaris zones
17 > can also manage manually installed software- I'm guessing not (there
18 > are no solaris packages for lots of web apps.)
19 >
20 > Then I read about Xen- and thought that could be reasonable;
21 > virtualize the machine, install two instances of the OS; disk is
22 > cheap, and although everything will have to be down twice (updates
23 > etc), at least I can use the standard package management tools.
24 >
25 > My thinking is that up-to-date SELinux + hardened gcc + apache +
26 > mod_security is enough of a headache that the majority of script
27 > kiddies/crackers won't be bothered.
28
29 AFAIK the grsecurity patch can't be applied to the current xen-sources,
30 so you'll lose quite some of the protection of the hardened gcc without
31 pax (grsecurity).
32
33 > Anyone who can get through that
34 > I'm never going to notice- I know I won't make time to run something
35 > like tripwire often enough to be that useful, and even if I did, if
36 > someone gets through the above, they're very likely to be smart enough
37 > to hide the evidence so I don't notice for a long time (if ever.)
38 > Again, this is for a hobby server- one domain for family pics, etc,
39 > the other for something like trac for me and some friends to have fun
40 > with with some hobby development.
41 >
42 > First question- does the above sound reasonable?
45 Te me it does. Have you thought about using mod_deflate or mod_gzip it
46 will save some of your precious upstream bandwidth.
47
48 Now I have to hurry to work, maybe more answers in the evening.
51 Ewald Wasscher
54 PGP Key Fingerprint: D3FE ED15 03B0 8385 DD5D 95CE F866 9E37 28E8 1D69
57 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list