From: Alain Toussaint <alain.toussaint@××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] permission problem in /etc
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:19:03
1 Hello,
2 While troubleshooting my server in enforcing mode, I have come
3 across many files and directory in /etc which are not labelled and thus, I
4 am getting permission denied while using the root account:
5
6 johnson ~ # ls -Z /etc/ | grep "(null)"
7 ls: cannot access /etc/rsyncd.conf: Permission denied
8 ls: cannot access /etc/env.d: Permission denied
9 ls: cannot access /etc/make.conf: Permission denied
10 ls: cannot access /etc/shadow: Permission denied
11 ls: cannot access /etc/gshadow: Permission denied
12 ls: cannot access /etc/lilo.conf.example: Permission denied
13 ls: cannot access /etc/lilo.conf: Permission denied
14 ls: cannot access /etc/audit: Permission denied
15 ls: cannot access /etc/lilo.conf_example: Permission denied
16 ls: cannot access /etc/portage: Permission denied
17 ls: cannot access /etc/bind: Permission denied
18 ls: cannot access /etc/shadow-: Permission denied
19 ls: cannot access /etc/gshadow-: Permission denied
20 ls: cannot access /etc/mail: Permission denied
21 ls: cannot access /etc/dovecot: Permission denied
22 ls: cannot access /etc/postfix: Permission denied
23 ls: cannot access /etc/crontab: Permission denied
24 ls: cannot access /etc/cron.d: Permission denied
25 ls: cannot access /etc/fetchmailrc: Permission denied
26 ls: cannot access /etc/samba: Permission denied
27 ls: cannot access /etc/adjtime: Permission denied
28
29 all of these directory and files are not labelled as demonstrated below for
30 a particular set of daemon.
31
32 (null) samba
33 (null) dovecot
34 (null) bind
35
36 I have tried running the application rlpkg -a -r without success and also, I
37 have tried the command chcon but it won't let me relabel those directory
38 (while in enforcing mode). Is there any ways to fix that?
39
40 Thanks
41 Alain Toussaint