From: Michael Ihde <ihde@××××.edu>
To: Gentoo Hardened <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Various questions about ssh, yp, and nfs
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:02:53
1 Currently I'm setting up a machine that uses NIS for authentication, nfs
2 for shared home directories, and ssh for remote access.
3
4 In the process I have created a context for ypbind. However there are a
5 few rules that I had to add that I'm not sure where they fit, or if some
6 modification needs to be done to other parts of the policy.
9 First off, when using yp the bash_profile cannot set the prompt
10 correctly becuase it doesn't have access to the var_yp_t:dir and file.
11 The prompt looks like this
12
13 I have no name!@p12 ihde $
14
15 If I add
16 allow { user_t } var_yp_t:dir { search };
17 allow { user_t } var_yp_t:file { read };
18
19 the prompt looks correct. I think this might be too loose, but I cannot
20 figure out how else to accomplish this without because the offending
21 process is /bin/bash.
22
23 As a side note, the same problem exists with whoami (which is also
24 called in bash_profile). For this I created an fc and te for whoami so
25 it can access the var_yp stuff. Is this a good idea?
26
27 Secondly, for ssh to recognize the NIS users I had to add
28
29 allow { sshd_t } var_yp_t:dir { search };
30 allow { sshd_t } var_yp_t:file { read };
33 On to NFS, mount needed
34 allow { mount_t } resolv_conf_t:file { read getattr };
35 allow { mount_t } mount_t:tcp_socket { write read };
36
37 I could probably get by without resolv_conf_t:file if I used an IP
38 address in fstab as opposed to the hostname.
39
40 Right now all the nfs files and directories and labeled (null). And a
41 relabel does not change this. Because of this they seem to all be in
42 the context nfs_t:dir and nfs_t:file. I don't want to give users full
43 access to nfs_t. How can I label these nfs file systems appropriatly
44 (btw...I believe they are ext2).
45
46 Thanks for any help and all useful comments.
47
48 ~Michael