From: Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:07:05
On Tuesday, September 15, 2009 04:46:13 Tom Hendrikx wrote:
> Hi, > > As of today, portage notifies me that my current profile (hardened/x86) > is deprecated, and that "hardened/linux/x86/10.0" is the suggested > replacement. > > A few months ago, there was some traffic on this list regarding > profiles, resulting in the conclusion that "hardened/x86" was to be > preferred above the default as set (by releng?) in the hardened stages: > "hardened/linux/x86", as the latter was not approved or checked by the > hardened project. > > How does the new profile differ from hardened/x86, and is the new > profile tested/approved by the hardened project? > > -- > Regards, > Tom
Hi Tom, You are correct, the hardened/linux/${arch} profiles were born by releng. Hardened project took them over some time ago however and have been maintaining both profile sets in parallel. The time has come to pair that down to a single set of profiles again; thus the older hardened/${arch} profiles have been deprecated. The hardened/linux/${arch}/10.0 profiles are tested/approved by the hardened team. Please file a bug if you run into problems. Gordon Malm (gengor)