From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: dscott@×××××××××××.com, gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] A few thoughts
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:30:45
1 I think that there are very many distributions build on that premise, however this
2 is not really a goal of gentoo-hardened for this reason: Gentoo is based
3 on availability of choice. We will provide applications considered secure (those
4 listed are all in portage) but we won't restrict users to anything.
5
6 The gentoo-hardened project is to build a security hardened distribution using
7 known security mechanisms and tools available. That includes ACL's MACS,
8 auditing, chrooting, stack protection, adding security patches wherever possible
9 et al. in theory once an installation is complete one could give out their root
10 password and not worry about any problems (russell coker provides the root
11 password to his selinux play machine to demonstrate the security provided
12 by selinux, this machine hasn't been compromised at all.
13
14 We will be handling documentation, and we can certainly give our opinions
15 or widely thought beliefs about the security impacts of certain applications.
16
17 Also, I am a fairly security aware person, but i do not share your sentiment about
18 djb's work so I find it hard to recomment his software to users. This is not
19 an opinion formed about the security of his products, the opinion is based
20 on his treatment of the opensource world, and the non-rfc compliance of his
21 applications. This IS a personal opinion so i don't want a flamewar on this list,
22 if you wish to flame me come to irc and scream all you want :)
23
24 Joshua Brindle
25
26 >>> <dscott@×××××××××××.com> 03/19/03 04:14PM >>>
27 Hello All,
28
29 My thought:
30 I would like to see a secure distribution that would strongly encourage users to use proven audited applications and daemons.
31 ie: qmail, djbdns, pure-ftpd, etc etc.
32
33 D.