From: "Norman B. Robinson" <norman_b_robinson@×××××.com>
To: "mike@××××.org" <mike@××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened laptops
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:10:32
1 Worth is a subjective term; what are your goals? :p I'm sure there could
2 be performance differences, but I go back to the 'multiple levels' concept.
3
4 Can you clarify the differences between encrypted home directory vs.
5 encrypted root filesystems in your mind? Do you really mean encrypting
6 ONLY home directories vs. encrypting ALL partitions? Just wanted to be
7 certain.
8
9 [1] A /tmp encrypted filesystem isn't any different than any other
10 encrypted file - is it? You can have a encrypted partition that multiple
11 users can mount with their token key. Such as done with 'example 5' of
12 loop-aes (http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README)
13 [2] I'd also like to mention enough memory and NOT USING SWAP at all.
14 [3] If you have a scenario where you are a user that doesn't trust the
15 system and want a chance at keeping YOUR data out of prying eyes the the
16 per-user temporary directories could be of use.
17
18 Finally my other thoughts are that since *my* goal is to be *more*
19 secure and not set the goal I will be absolutely secure; something as
20 simple as ensuring all your temp files (or unencrypted volumes) are
21 deleted and wiped clean during logout (if you own the machine) could be
22 worth it. Yes, it may be unsecure during operation and it could be
23 interrupted before the shutdown wipe. But not most of the time.
24
25 N.
26
27 mike@××××.org wrote:
28
29 > I haven't seen anything directly like this on the gentoo-hardened list
30 >
31 >>yet. I have seen the loopback encrypted filesystems and distro
32 >>discussions (nothing that isn't in the archives).
36 >Norman, you brought up some great points. I am familiar with TEMPEST, but am
37 >not far enough into this to start trying to mitigate its risk yet.
38 >
39 >I now have a few questions about the encrypted home directory scenario (most of
40 >root filesystem is plaintext). Basically, is it worth it vs. an encrypted root
41 >filesystem? Besides encrypting swap, one sticky point is encrypting /tmp. Here
42 >are a few potential solutions:
43 >
44 >1. Make /tmp an encrypted filesystem, generated at boot time with a random key
45 >(much like encrypted swap space).
46 >
47 >2. If you have enough memory and/or encrypted swap, use Linux's tmpfs.
48 >
49 >3. Implement per-user temporary directories in each user's encrypted $HOME.
50 >Obviously all applications must know to use $HOME/tmp instead of /tmp. This may
51 >be difficult to ensure.
52 >
53 >Plain text /tmp is of course bad because, for example, vi may leak secrets by
54 >creating recovery files there. So what is the best solution? Or are there too
55 >many potential loopholes when using encrypted home directories vs. encrypted
56 >root filesystem?
57 >
58 >--
59 >Mike