From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 22:02:35
1 > I'm not sure exactly how ssp is implemented in a nuts and bolts sort of
2 > way. However, I would say lowering the quality of the random data used
3 > for the canary would be a bad idea. It could allow someone to more
4 > easily compromise a system protected by ssp.
7 There's no doubt that it lowers security, but I think even if you just
8 picked a fixed canary value per system (say 42) then it already means
9 that most buffer overflow attacks still fail..
10
11 Agreed that someone specifically targeting you will get in, but I'm far
12 more worried about the general class of attacks... SSP is just one more
13 layer of security, not the only layer
14
15 Cheers
16
17 Ed W