From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] ipv6 on by default for hardened profile
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 06:03:07
1 On 06/25/12 23:03, Alex Efros wrote:
2 >
3 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but enabling IPv6 mean needs in supporting two
4 > different routing tables and two different firewalls. Also, I suppose
5 > enabling IPv6 on any server/router with non-trivial IPv4 firewall rules
6 > may (and probably will!) result in creating new security holes until admin
7 > will develop IPv6 firewall rules similar to existing IPv4 firewall rules.
8 > And I suppose just trying to duplicate existing rules as is won't be
9 > enough because of new IPv6-specific features, which is absent in IPv4,
10 > and which should be additionally blocked/enabled too.
11
12 This is where I'm at -- being in the USA, I'll probably be long dead
13 before our upstream supports ipv6. I don't even know enough about ipv6
14 to know what I don't know, so the only safe course is to have it disabled.
15
16 It's easy enough to set USE="-ipv6" manually of course, but the same
17 argument works for USE="ipv6". So, I think the default should be what
18 most people want; i.e. what the fewest people will have to override. Do
19 most hardened machines use ipv6?