From: "Andreas Prieß" <andreas@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened x86/2.6 on AMD Athlon64
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:17:54
1 Hi,
2
3 I would like to run the standard x86 hardened profile on an athlon64
4 without any 64bit specific optimizations. As far as I understand it,
5 that should be possible, as the athlon64 processor ist backwards
6 compatible with all the x86 things.
7
8 Little note besides: it's a server without a pysical console, just ssh
9 and a netboot rescue system from remote.
10
11 When I install the hardened stage 3 all runs perfect. When I install the
12 hardened stage 1 all the bootstrapping and the full emerge systemn runs
13 without error, but the system doesn't boot up to syslog and ssh, so I
14 have not very much to tell, where the problem is.
15
16 Are there any known problems with x86 hardened profile and athlon64?
17
18 The amd64 hardened profiles are:
19 - nonmultilib: that means only 64 bit? So no Java (from portage) and no
20 precompiled 32bit apps?
21
22 - multilib is experimental: not the first choice for production server I
23 think.
24
25 Therefore I ask about the standard x86 profile on amd64...
26
27 - May the GCC-Flag "-mtune=athlon64" be a problem? But mtune should
28 generate complete x386 compatible code. And as I said, an emerge -e
29 world also runs fine.
30
31 Any hints are welcome.
34 Greetings,