From: Michael <mycroes@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Could not load modules.dep
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:04:49
1 Hi Clemente,
2
3 Op donderdag 10-05-2007 om 12:01 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Clemente
4 Aguiar:
5 > Since a while ago I have been getting a series of errors at start-up on
6 > my servers, such as:
7 >
8 > "FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/kernel-hardened-2.18-r6/modules.dep:
9 > No such file or directory"
10
11 Although it says fatal I believe it's not much to worry about, it's
12 certainly not fatal.
13
14 > I configured my hardened kernels with "loadable module support"
15 > disabled, so I think that modules.dep could never exist.
16
17 Exactly.
18
19 > First of all, I can see these messages "fly" by the console at start-up,
20 > but it seems that they are not logged (I can't find them anywhere).
21 > Shouldn't they get logged somewhere?
22
23 I guess they might get logged if you log the boot proces, there's some
24 more on that in /etc/rc or /etc/conf.d/rc. Also if you boot
25 interactively (holding I if your baselayout supports it) You will
26 probably get the time to carefully read the messages.
27
28 > Second, how can I get rid of the messages altogether?
29
30 My guess is this is caused by a command involving modules, perhaps an
31 installed package. I once had virtual installs with monolithic (no
32 modules) kernels, in which the 'problem' occured in ttylinux or
33 something, but not in Gentoo.
34
35 > Hope somebody can help me with these two issues.
36
37 I hope I've helped you with my answers.
38
39 > Clemente
40
41 Regards,