From: Andrew Ross <aross@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardening SSHD
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 03:09:21
1 Jason Booth wrote:
2 > On Monday 23 October 2006 13:21, Brian Davis wrote:
3 >> What do you folks do to harden SSHD? I'm looking for some pointers.
4
5 > The main thing I have noticed lately is the huge volume of brute-force
6 > attacks:
7 >
8 > Using DenyHosts is pretty much a necessity now.
9 > app-admin/denyhosts
10
11 I disagree. With password-auth disabled (in favour of public/private
12 keys) there are only three things to worry about with these brute-force
13 attacks:
14
15 1. Log spam
16
17 2. DoS
18
19 3. Bandwidth charges
20
21 With regard to (1), any decent log analysis program will be able to
22 filter out the spam entries.
23
24 With regard to (2), I've yet to see any DoS effect from these attacks,
25 although I suppose it's possible with ancient hardware and a pitifully
26 small internet connection :-)
27
28 With regard to (3), bandwidth charges will be incurred regardless of any
29 filtering performed at your machine, since the traffic still reaches
30 your box (as far as your upstream provider is concerned).
31
32 Obviously, it would be nice to reduce the volume of log spam and the
33 total volume of attack traffic being sent to your box, but there are
34 much simpler ways to achieve these - using denyhosts just complicates
35 things and provides serious attackers (ie. those using exploits, rather
36 than password brute-forcing) with another avenue of attack. Any
37 application that parses log files containing data supplied by an
38 attacker is potentially vulnerable to an exploit - particularly when the
39 application in question runs with root privileges and/or modifies a
40 firewall.
41
42 I've seen many recommendations for port knocking, but I feel that's
43 unnecessarily complex when compared to simply changing the port sshd
44 listens on. While the use of port knocking no doubt further decreases
45 your exposure over an alternate sshd port, the difference is only a
46 small percentage of the benefit you receive from moving away from port
47 22 in the first place.
48
49 There is an excellent article at
50 http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/187 describing the use of
51 the "recent" netfilter module in stopping brute-force ssh attacks at the
52 firewall level. In addition to its simplicity when compared to denyhosts
53 or a similar application, the netfilter approach can be used at your
54 border router to protect the entire network. A host-based solution would
55 allow one attack against each host, where as the netfilter approach can
56 limit this to one attack against any single host on the network. While
57 denyhosts can also achieve this, it requires the use of a central server.
58
59 Cheers
60
61 Andrew