From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Bought an "entropy-key" - very happy
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:31:16
1 On 23/03/2010 21:02, lists@×××.org wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Ed W wrote:
3 >
4 >> OK, so to conclude the previous thread - I bought an entropy key from
5 >> the nice folks at Simtec via http://entropykey.co.uk
6 >>
7 >> Short version is you plug it in, install the ekeyd package and even
8 >> on a hardened installation the entropy pool never deviates from full
9 >> up...
10 >>
11 >> Now, at £30 it seems like a bargain for a fancy random number
12 >> generator, but then I read that the daemon can be switched to pipe
13 >> the data out in "egd" format and essentially you can have one machine
14 >> supply high volumes of random numbers for a fair number of networked
15 >> clients. In my case this solves the problem of how to pipe entropy
16 >> to some cheap rented servers where we don't get to touch the physical
17 >> hardware... Very nice
18 >>
19 >> I have no relationship with the entropy-key guys other than being a
20 >> happy customer. They seem like a small shop and I think they deserve
21 >> a plug (and really need to work on their presence via google...
22 >> Searches on this stuff only turn up $400 alternatives... Sheesh)
23 >
24 > I'm a bit puzzled how that offers much security.
25 > Is the advantage that the algorithm for PRNG has to be extracted from
26 > the chip inside the key before it can be abused?
27 >
28 > Seems no better than, say:
29 > http://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/56
30 >
31 > Apart from at least adding a bit more layers in the algorithm.
32
33 I'm not sure what you mean by the link referenced above? The point is
34 that once the entropy pool is depleted on Linux then operations against
35 /dev/random will stall, however, the evolution on linux has been that
36 since /dev/random is "unreliable" most apps now seem to go directly to
37 /dev/urandom which is similar, but doesn't block once the entropy pool
38 is empty (simply the quality of random numbers declines) - however, it's
39 reverting to a pseudo random number algorithm
40
41 I have experimented with most of the other entropy gathering options
42 that you can hit with a quick google search, but at least on some of my
43 machines these added non-trivial amounts of CPU load and usually for not
44 much extra entropy (timer_entropyd was the best for me)
45
46 I'm not a total tin hat - it's more that in the case of glibc and kernel
47 both compiled with SSP, plus a load of virtual machines (lots of
48 processes running on a small machine) I could see that my entropy pool
49 is getting zapped to zero in just seconds. Hence there is clearly a
50 dubiously small amount of randomness left and basically we are working
51 the pseudo random device quite hard
52
53 The entropy key just compensates by adding another fairly high quality
54 source of randomness - the kernel will incorporate this extra randomness
55 with what it gets from other sources, so even in the event that the
56 device is fatally flawed then "probably" you still won't let an attacker
57 figure out all your ssh keys. The ekey is not simply a software
58 algorithm, but uses an internal "noise generator" to produce it's randomness
59
60 Given you can run a bunch of machines from one device it seemed like a
61 very simple solution to the situation
62
63 Good luck
64
65 Ed W