From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] ipv6 on by default for hardened profile
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:03:01
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 06/26/2012 08:33 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
5 > El 26/06/12 05:03, Alex Efros escribió:
6 >> Hi!
7 > Hi!
8 >> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:58:49AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
9 >>>> I'm alerting users so that you can make whatever changes you
10 >>>> like to ipv6 in your /etc/make.conf. In about 24 hours I
11 >>>> will turn on by default ipv6 on all hardened profiles.
12 >>> I use ipv6 on all my servers (not that everyone does). We will
13 >>> have to enable it eventually, sooner is probably better then
14 >>> later I think.
15 >> Correct me if I'm wrong, but enabling IPv6 mean needs in
16 >> supporting two different routing tables and two different
17 >> firewalls.
18 > Different routing tables maybe but the firewall is still the same,
19 > the iptables based one. And with the ipv6 USE you get it.
20 >> Also, I suppose enabling IPv6 on any server/router with
21 >> non-trivial IPv4 firewall rules may (and probably will!) result
22 >> in creating new security holes until admin will develop IPv6
23 >> firewall rules similar to existing IPv4 firewall rules.
24 > The use has little to nothing to see with this, the ipv6 is not a
25 > magic use flag that necessarily works with all packages, it only
26 > does it with those that have it. Other may just not have an option
27 > to disable ipv6. Anyway for this to happen you must (and these are
28 > all necessary conditions): * Have an ipv6 route from the attacker
29 > to the affected machine * Have ipv6 enable on the kernel. * Have an
30 > ipv6 address assigned accesible by the attacker. * Get the attacker
31 > to know said address (since bruteforcing the address space is hard
32 > to say the least). * Have anything listening on that address
33 > (depending on the attack the icmpv6 server could be it but there
34 > are other services who listen to ipv6 no matter what you do).
35 >
36 > If one of them doesn't hold the risk is not much more than the risk
37 > some uncalled code can provide which is still not much.
38 >> And I suppose just trying to duplicate existing rules as is won't
39 >> be enough because of new IPv6-specific features, which is absent
40 >> in IPv4, and which should be additionally blocked/enabled too.
41 > This depends a lot on which rules you have. In general it is more
42 > about the address block than anything else.
43 >> If I'm right (about creating new security holes because of
44 >> enabling ipv6 USE flag) then it may be bad idea to enable it by
45 >> default until we'll be sure admin is ready for this (for example,
46 >> we may check is IPv6 enabled in kernel and is there exists IPv6
47 >> firewall rules).
48 > You are mostly wrong, the only issue I can think of is if you
49 > enabled ipv6 on the kernel in which case you are probably fucked
50 > since daemons may be listening there anyway even before the
51 > change.
52 >> BTW, is there exists (Gentoo?) guides/howtos which explain these
53 >> issues (preferably from "differences from IPv4" point of view) to
54 >> average admin who know how to setup IPv4 and know nothing about
55 >> IPv6, and provide minimum recommended configuration for IPv6
56 >> routing/firewall? I think enabling IPv6 by default should begins
57 >> from writing such docs.
58 > # ip6tables -A INPUT -j DROP # ip6tables -A OUTPUT -j DROP #
59 > ip6tables -A FORWARD -j DROP There you are safe now.
60 >
61 This is almost what I wrote to send to the list, but decided to wait a
62 day and sleep on it. But mine had more pepper in it.
63
64 - - Aaron
65
66 - --
67 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
68 Gentoo Linux Developer
69 Email : titanofold@g.o
70 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
71 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0