From: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Mono build failure
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:30:41
1 pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2
3 >>/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3-20050110/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
4 >>./.libs/libmono-static.a(domain.o): relocation R_X86_64_TPOFF32 against
5 >>`a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
6 >>with -fPIC
10 >the linker told you the problem: some code wasn't properly compiled
11 >to be position independent. how a hardened gcc can do that i can't
12 >imagine since its very purpose is to force everything to be PIC.
13 >i guess you should file a bugreport in bugzilla and provide the
14 >compile logs (the bits that relate to libmono-static.a/domain.o).
17 swithing to gcc-vanilla under gentoo-sources enabled me to compile mono.
18 futher testing revealed that compiling under hardened-sources (security
19 *dis*abled) with gcc-vanilla also enables me to compile mono.
20 As I have not yet turned on security features in the kernel, I cannot
21 say as to whether it will run, nor how to configure it for that
22 situation (yet!).
23
24 Under hardened-sources with gcc-vanilla I then emerged mod_mono and
25 restarted apache. I'm struggling a little with that, but the issue of
26 this thread has been "solved".
27
28 Many many thanks to Mike, Rumen and pageexec. I still don't know how I'm
29 going to get this to run under hardened with security enabled, but if
30 you can bare it I may post a few questions down the track. For now,
31 however, mono is built and working without hardened.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Chris
35 --