From: Ed Grimm <ed@×××××.org>
To: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
Cc: Dan Margolis <krispykringle@g.o>, Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Exploitable Weakness: Shared Memory
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:44:29
1 On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2
3 > How about running 'untrusted' code through any interpreter in your
4 > trusted path, are you going to somehow prevent interpreters from
5 > reading anything in non-root owned directories? This is a slippery
6 > slope and quickly approaches the need for MAC. I repeat, TPE is a
7 > broken model and should not be relied on for anything.
8
9 TPE is not a flawed concept; you have a flawed understanding of it. For
10 it to work, yes, you do need to have your interpreters honor it as well.
11 ld.so shouldn't be in the trusted path, since it can't be trusted. (I
12 haven't tried this with kernel-sponsored TPE; I don't know how well that
13 would work. I probably won't have time to try it until next year.)
14
15 Note that most of the people I've seen talking about TPE had basically
16 the same understanding you appear to have possessed. It's the
17 understanding that one would have if one studied only the first page of
18 the first document I've read on the topic, or by reading all of most of
19 the documents I've read on the topic. (The first document I read on it
20 was handed to me by the senior admin of my college's computer center. I
21 have not found its equal since, and I very much regret having given it
22 to my roommate at the time, instead of photocopying it. I suspect that
23 I also have a flawed understanding, as a result of that mistake.)
24
25 Generally, my use of TPE is restricted to a subset of users, who are
26 given a very strict subset of commands; most of those commands are
27 either wrappers around normal commands, or they were written to honor
28 TPE; the remainder are commands like head which are so basic they can't
29 be exploited without using a commandline that the restricted shell will
30 block. They never get telnet, ssh, or any other command that allows
31 them to go elsewhere; there's too many potentials there.
32
33 (Note: it may be permissible to allow some reading by the interpreters
34 outside of root-owned space, but only for data purposes; any such grants
35 should be by explicit allows, and should be carefully thought out. For
36 example, I've given users in a TPE environment access to read some of my
37 apache logs, which are in a directory owned by httpd; this directory
38 mod 3755, the TP settings wouldn't allow writes even if the directory
39 did.)
40
41 > We should not recomment noexec, noexec does nothing at all.
42
43 By itself, you're right. It requires much more work, and most of the
44 recommendations I've seen for it don't come near the effort required.
45
46 Ed
49 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list