From: Javier Juan Martinez Cabezon <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 16:52:00
1 It's not one PaX alternative as its only one of its features but rsbac
2 recently implemented native W or X and seems to work fine
5 On 29/04/17 17:56, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
6 > 2017-04-29 14:47 GMT+02:00 Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>:
7
8 > It's not about grsecurity, it's about PaX. This was the basic layer
9 > of protection. Gentoo Hardened has spent years working to provide PaX
10 > support in userland. It was the core of this project. Alpine Linux and
11 > others are also based on PaX. After years of building _trust_, it all
12 > disappears overnight. You can use Grsecurity, you can use SELinux, you
13 > can use RSBAC, but you do not have a good alternative for PaX. And
14 > this is an existential problem for all these projects. By the way, I
15 > don't know what the Gentoo Hardened or Alpine Linux have done wrong,
16 > that now are left out in the cold.
17 >
18 > Instead of complaining, we have to decide what to do next. In my
19 > opinion, it is critical to maintain support for PaX* for future
20 > kernels. It will not be easy, so I'm right away saying that Gentoo
21 > Hardened, Alpine Linux etc. should join forces in realizing this
22 > project. I think there will be more people who will be interested
23 > in...
24 >
25 > * https://www.grsecurity.net/~paxguy1/
26 >