From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Profile switch: hardened to non-hardened?
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:47:19
1 > Why don't you tell what you didn't understand to us explain it
2 > properly to you?. You can't assure nothing if you don't know what do
3 > you need to assure.
4 > You can't implement Mandatory Access Controls such as GRSEC rbac
5 > without a bit of known. You need to make one policy for your system
6 > and the kernel makes it enforcing their function.
7 >
8 > If you are not a sysadmin, how did you keep servers running?, to keep
9 > servers you need to know how does them work internaly (for example DNS
10 > rfc for DNS servers etc.).
11
12 When I say I'm not a real sysadmin, I mean I have many duties and I'm
13 not able to dive all the way in with sysadmin stuff. This is due to
14 time constraints.
15
16 > As bad is not getting one MAC system running (as the RBAC of
17 > grsecurity) as get one incorrectly configured running, for example
18 > granting all capabilities (CAP_SYS_RAWIO...) to the user running
19 > skype. GRSEC has one TPE function in himself read about it.
20 >
21 > Sorry but you have to read documentation (start for example with
22 > gentoo hardened docs).
23
24 You're right. I thought that I was hardening my system just by
25 running a hardened profile and a hardened kernel at the "Medium"
26 Grsecurity setting. Does that provide no extra security if I don't
27 configure it beyond that?
28
29 - Grant
32 >>> Without hardened userland only in access controls. You can implement
33 >>> for example one Trusted Path Execution with LIDS, RSBAC, GRSEC or
34 >>> SELinux. They could try to stop crackers that gain unpriviledge access
35 >>> to the host (with a remote exploit for example) to execute exploits to
36 >>> scale priviledges. They could give you one least priviledge approach
37 >>> (as PaX does) and other useful things, as isolation of daemons,
38 >>> resources controls. And a lot of more. With TPE however, untrusted
39 >>> scripts (exploits) could be launched without execution rights, and
40 >>> even restricting the use of perl and python, you must grant your users
41 >>> the access to bash.
42 >>
43 >> Thank you for taking the time to explain, but I'm afraid I don't
44 >> understand. I'm looking for things I can implement that don't require
45 >> me to understand their inner workings. This is not ideal, but I only
46 >> have so much time to devote to sysadmin duties since I'm not a real
47 >> sysadmin. My server runs a hardened profile because it hasn't caused
48 >> any problems, but running a hardened profile on my desktops has proven
49 >> to be too difficult. All of my systems run a hardened kernel but the
50 >> only hardened feature I've enabled in the kernel is Grsecurity set to
51 >> medium or low depending on the system.
52 >>
53 >> Do the hardened profile and hardened kernels do me any good without
54 >> further configuration?
55 >>
56 >> - Grant
57 >>
58 >>>>> In terms of userland, non hardened profile doesn't protect you at all
59 >>>>> against buffer overflows, you are removing one important security
60 >>>>> layer. SSP protects you against buffer overflows in terms that the
61 >>>>> vulnerable application gets killed when the canary is modified before
62 >>>>> the execution of the arbitrary code. PIE protects you against return
63 >>>>> into libc attacks that doesn't need an executable stack. PaX is not
64 >>>>> perfect and needs them as complementary solutions. For example I think
65 >>>>> that RANDEXEC was removed from PaX time ago, one buffer overflow that
66 >>>>> uses return into libc attack could be succesfully against one
67 >>>>> non-hardened binary. Since skype is a network oriented software...
68 >>>>
69 >>>> In what situations is a hardened kernel useful?
70 >>>>
71 >>>> - Grant