From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: method@g.o, gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of ebuild signing in portage
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:09:37
1 On Thursday 24 April 2003 4:34 pm, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > >On Thursday 24 April 2003 3:10 pm, Joshua Brindle wrote:
3
4 > >Consider this fictional scenario: A colleague is appointed a new gentoo
5 > >developer because of his interest in maintaining app-games/abcabcabcabc. I
6 > > am not interested in this package, and never intend to install it on our
7 > > server cluster.
8 > >
9 > >Do I have to worry about him planting trojan sys-libs/glibc ebuilds in our
10 > >local portage mirror?
11 >
12 > Well, there isn't anything we can do on the client side. Users will always
13 > have the able to modify ebuilds/packages on their own machines
14 > or we'd have a lot of angry users. The one thing that would solve the
15 > problem is to 1) make sure you don't have any PORTDIR_OVERLAY's since
16 > those probably won't be verified by keys anyway (we may have a setting
17 > for this) and 2) emerge sync before you do _anything_, this means even
18 > emerge -s or emerge -p.
19 >
20 > Since an emerge sync would overwrite any changes in the local repository
21 > all your coworkers hard work got erased...
22 > Also: on my machine /usr/portage is writable only by root.. if the coworker
23 > has the access to write to the local tree then uhh, i don't guess it
24 > matters since he could just backdoor your system without using portage..
25
26 Our "local portage mirror" is a seperate machine which runs an rsync daemon
27 for our internal machines. It is an intermediary between the internal
28 machines and the public rsync mirrors.
29
30 Yes, suppose that mirror machine is rooted. I would like for portage on the
31 non-rooted internal machines to be able to detect tampering on the
32 intermediary.
33
34 (I can understand if its not possible, but that doesnt stop me wanting it ;-)
38 > >Another way of looking at it........
39 > >
40 > >If I understand correctly, your proposal is using signatures from an inner
41 > >keyring for two different purposes:
42 > >1. To confirm identity. This is the conventional meaning of a key
43 > > signature, as should be understood by everyone that signs someone elses
44 > > key. 2. To confirm status. That is, to confirm that the owner of the key
45 > > is an official gentoo developer.
46 > >
47 > >Would it be better to use key signatures from the inner keyring only for
48 > > the first of those two purposes. Some file in portage, appropriately
49 > > signed, would list all official developers and the packages that they are
50 > > authorised to maintain. Senior gentoo developers will be authorised for
51 > > everything.
52 >
53 > It would be impossible to keep the file accurate and up to date. Far too
54 > many devs are involved in lots of things, also we'd have to wait on the
55 > permissions key signer to even add new packages which would slow
56 > developmental efforts down dramatically.
57
58 Hmmm. maybe the ~arch testing flag could be used to pipeline these tasks. I
59 take your point made in your original post that developer convenience is
60 important too.
61
62 > I have personally edited a lot of the core packages, gcc, glibc, xfree,
63 > etc. It would have been a huge hassle if I had to go seek permission and
64 > justify it and wait for a decision, etc.
65
66 Yes, of course allowing this capability to all junior developers has a
67 security implication. One compromised gpg key of *any* developer can
68 compromise any package, so security is reduced by appointing many junior
69 developers.
70
71 (Which isnt necessarily a problem, but its nice to know where the boundaries
72 lie.)
73
74 Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.
77 Toby Dickenson
78 http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson
81 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list